Life purpose is all about discovering what gives us happiness, drive, passion and direction in our lives. It helps us work out and prioritise what’s important to us. Discovering our life’s purpose helps us re-evaluate our identity and meaning in life. It is one of the most personal wellbeing aspects as it involves a lot of reflection and thought.
Live your life purpose
· Slow down, breathe and live each day for now. Let go of the past and the worries of the future.
· Prioritise the things that mean the most to you.
· Find a hobby that you are passionate about.
· Spend time enjoying life.
· Learn to look within and begin to trust what you find there. Listen to your own inner voice, your own wisdom.
Life Purpose quiz
Here is a mini quiz you can do to help your discover your life purpose. Don’t think too much about your answers. Just write the first thing that comes to mind.
· What is my life about?
· What do I want to do?
· What are the things that bring me meaning, purpose and happiness in my life?
· What do I love doing so much that I would even do it for free?
· What am I best at?
· If you had to teach something, what would you teach?
· What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life right now?
· What are the things you have been through in life that have made you the person you are today?
· Imagine yourself at 90 years old, what would you like to reflect on that you achieved in your life? The relationships you developed? The things that matter the most to you?
Create your wellbeing vision
A wellbeing vision is the picture that you have of yourself living your life the way you want it to be - a picture of you at your very best self. Your vision can be in any shape or form, a picture, a painting, bullet points or even a paragraph. It needs to be unique and meaningful to you.
Before you create your vision, ask yourself - what is the reason I want to be this way? What is the true meaning behind my vision? These deep motivators will help keep you on track during your wellness journey.
Grab a pen, paper, pens, pencils and any other materials you need - be creative! Find a space for you to display your wellness vision that will act as a daily reminder of who you are and where you want to be.
Set some goals
Set some goals to lead you towards your life’s purpose and wellbeing vision. Goals represent landmarks on our life’s purpose journey. If we don’t have a structured plan in place, then there is no path to follow.
One of the most important parts of goal setting is being ready to make changes. Before you proceed with your goals ask yourself - how ready am I for these changes? How important is it for me to make changes right now? A good way to measure this is to use the ruler scale, give yourself a number between 1-10. Ideally you need to be at a 7 to get started.
With goal setting we start with 3-monthly outcome goals. Starting with 3-months is more realistic for us to envision. If we change too quickly, we struggle to adapt. It is the small changes that lead to long lasting change. Ask yourself, what would I like to be doing in 3 months that will lead me towards my life purpose and wellbeing vision? What do I need to do to get there?