It is spring which means it is beetroot season! Anyone who knows me, knows just how much I love beetroot. Beetroot is also one of the worlds healthiest foods as they are anti-inflammatory, high in antioxidants and they detox the body. To ensure you get the most nutrients from your beets, cut them into quarters and steam them for a max of 15 minutes. I have been experimenting with beetroot hummus and I have just created this yummy concoction which I had to share. The secret ingredient is macadamia oil (also a super food). Here is the recipe so you make this one at home.
What you need.
- 1 can of chickpeas drained (organic is best)
- 250g cooked beetroot
- 2 tablespoons of macadamia oil
- Juice from ½ fresh lemon
- Tablespoon fresh mint (chopped)
- 1 small clove of garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of almond butter (or unhulled tahini)
- 60g goat/ sheep feta (optional)
- Himalayan salt and black pepper
- Olive oil (to drizzle)
How to make.
- Put everything into a food processor and blitz until smooth!
- Drizzle olive oil
- Steam some seasonal veggies and use as a dip, spread on brown rice cakes or add to salads and main meals as a side.