These protein bars are super easy to make and are delicious! Unlike many of the store-bought protein bars, these are completely natural. They are also great to have pre or post-workout, as the banana is full of potassium, manganese and carbohydrates, which aids muscle function, bone development, metabolism and provides energy. If the batter is not thick enough, feel free to add more flour. You can omit or limit the sweetener, as bananas can be quite sweet on their own.
What you need
- 125g almond meal
- 125g coconut flour
- 50g of good quality protein powder (I love Prana Himalayan Salted Caramel, but vanilla or coconut flavours work well too)
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 100ml of milk of your choice (or coconut water)
- Two heaped tablespoons of brown rice syrup
- One tablespoon of pure stevia extract (optional)
- One tablespoon of chia seeds
- One tablespoon of chopped cashews (or nuts of your choice)
- One teaspoon of cinnamon
- One tablespoon of coconut flakes
- One tablespoon melted coconut oil
- One – two tablespoons of natural nut butter
- Coconut oil spray (organic is best)
How to Make
- Spray baking paper with coconut oil spray and line a baking tin.
- In a mixing bowl - mix the flour, protein powder, stevia, chia seeds and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, combine the mashed banana, chopped nuts, coconut oil, coconut flakes and rice malt syrup. Pour onto dry mixture and mix together.
- Slowly pour the milk in, and continue mixing until a thick batter has formed.
- Pour evenly into the baking tin.
- Put in freezer for one hour.
- Remove and slice into bars!
These are great pre or post-workout, if you need a protein hit or just looking for an sweet afternoon treat. They go down great with a cup of coffee too.